Sunday, May 25, 2014

Deer Like Swiss Chard Too


Well, so much for my perpetual spinach-type Swiss Chard this year. The deer have eaten them down to nubs. Fortunately, they haven't touched anything else in the front garden yet, but I need to be vigilant. Eventually I will build a fence around the front garden. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. In the meantime I've just been using cylinders of chicken wire around the plants (like giant tomato cages) which work but are a hassle.

The chard didn't have wire around them, and this is the result.

Oh well, they were bolting and getting bitter anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Hello and I hope you’re having a good day. I’m enjoying to read about how to avoid deer eating Swiss chard radishes and similar greens in your blog. Quick question: I know that deer do not like Gladiola so if I make a border that is rectangular around where I’m growing Swiss chard and radishes with that help? I’m talking about a small area that’s only about 3‘ x 2‘. I have fenced in gardens in the back of the house, but I was looking to take advantage of the front that gets more sunlight and will likely grow Swiss chard more abundantly. I live in the suburbs of Kansas City, visited your family or two of deer. Thank you for your time in this matter.
    it would be helpful to me and all the person if you would also email me your response: rocchiogrosso@htslenexa.org
    Thanks,
    Ron O.

    ReplyDelete